Thursday, April 11, 2013

I'm so Freakin Happy


I was in my front  yard today working on trying to work on Missy’s new trick, but she would not pay attention to me. I look in the direction she is and realize that Copper’s brother is in the yard. I was proud of Missy for not taking off after him I grabbed her collar and put on her leash. I was going to just take Missy inside but I decided to try and get Missy to greet Copper brother. My little brother(10) helped out by petting Copper and for some reason Missy stopped barking when he did. I stayed a good four arm lengths away having Missy “Watch me” Once Missy seemed to have chilled out I brought her closer(She was an arms length from Copper). If she barked I did “let’s go.” I got down on my knees and tossed Copper’s brother treat. (Copper’s brother is a very nervous boy so I used the treats to help him see that I was nice) I was also giving Missy treats. Missy was calm so I had C’s bro. to come to me and I pet him he went over to Missy and smelled her when she had her back turned when Missy went to smell him he jumped away. Missy was getting very frustrated because he wouldn't let her smell him. I could tell because she was whining than would bark and than charge(When she barked I do “let’s go”) Just my luck Copper came over on the other side of the street and made himself known by barking thankfully he shut up. I walked Missy away C’s bro followed. Missy wasn't even trying to get to him she was just walking. Finally Copper allowed her to smell him. Both of them did a play bow and Missy was bouncing to and from one, but Copper wasn't interested. He ended up going home when he’s brother came into the yard I than went inside.
Of course Missy got lot’s of treats and praise I was so proud of her. After this experience I believe her barking at dogs is out of frustration of wanting to meet them and her charging like she does is because she doesn’t no how to greet them properly or she too excited. Maybe just maybe this experience will help her reactivity. I hope to do the same thing with Copper.
From February 26,2013

No comments:

Post a Comment