Thursday, April 11, 2013

Success Second Day in a Row


Today was harder than yesterday to get past Koda, but we did it. Today was harder because instead of lying down like she did yesterday Koda was standing up straining against her chain and barked a few times(not excessively) so I had to use “lets go”(changing direction we’re walking) a lot. The last time we went to walk past Koda(success walk) Missy was high strung(alert) she began to react in the middle of the “Koda area) I just pulled up(gently) on her gentle leader and she stopped flipping out and I was able to walk past “the Koda area” without another flip out just a few reminders not to stare at Koda.
Okay so this is what I’m doing 
I place myself to where Missy is on one side walking and Koda is on the other side in her yard. The street is separating us from the yard.
When Missy looks at Koda I use her gentle leader to turn her head straight.
If she starts to react I say “let’s go” and walk the other direction unless I’m able to use the gentle leader to stop the reaction. Off course if it’s a full blown reaction I just say let’s go there is no use in trying to stop it. 
When using “let’s go” I continue walking the opposite direction until Missy is under threshold(calm) than I will try walking past Koda again.
Most importantly once we have successfully walk past Koda Missy gets lots of praise and treats. 
Remember Stay Positive
From February 4, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment